Kiesza is a Canadian pop singer, songwriter and a multi-instrumentalist from Calgary. She is well known for her famous single “Hideaway” of 2014’s club-ready hit.
She is based in Brooklyn and makes dance-oriented music that touches upon house music, modern EDM, and R&B.
- Full name: Kiesa Rae Ellestad
- Born: 16 January 1989, Calgary, Canada
- Profession: Canadian pop singer, songwriter and a multi-instrumentalist
- Height: 1.65 m
Follow Kiesza on
Kiesza was born and raised in Calgary. Her last name Ellestad is Norwegian from her paternal side and her grandfather is from Fagernes in Norway.
When she was 16, she took part in the Sail and Life Training Society (SALTS) program and later became a sailing instructor at the Glenmore Sailing School in 2007.
Kiesza participated in theatre, ballet, and tap dancing before joining the Royal Canadian Navy at 17, where she was trained as a code breaker.
At 18, Kiesza also competed in the Miss Universe Canada pageant before focusing on a music career.
Leaving the Navy, she attended Berklee College of Music in Boston on a scholarship.
After graduating, she relocated to New York City and began performing her folky singer/songwriter compositions.
Eventually, Kiesza found herself drawn to dance music and began collaborating with producer Rami Samir Afuni.
In 2014, she released the Hideaway EP. “Hideaway” itself topped the U.K. and Scottish singles charts upon its April release and received significant airplay in the U.S. when it was released that July.
Sound of a Woman A few months later, Kiesza’s full-length debut, Sound of a Woman, arrived, mixing her house-influenced pop with hip-hop-tinged tracks and featuring cameos by Mick Jenkins and Joey Bada$$.
Following the album’s release, she toured with Demi Lovato and collaborated with artists including Jack U, Gorgon City, Duran Duran, and Djemba Djemba.
Kiesza returned in early 2017 with her own single, “Dearly Beloved,” which was dedicated to her college friend Alicia Lemke, frontwoman of the band Alice and the Glass Lake who died from leukemia in 2015.
To record the song, Kiesza worked with producer Stuart Price and learned to play one of Lemke’s guitars from her boyfriend, Adam Agati. “Don’t Want You Back,” a collaboration between Kiesza and Dutch producer Bakermat, was released that June.
Songs, Singles & Works
- “Triggerfinger” (Donkeyboy featuring Kiesza)
- Giant in My Heart
- No Enemiesz
- “Take Ü There”, (Jack Ü featuring Kiesza)
- “Nobody to Love, Doo Wop (That Thing)”
- “Go All Night”
- “Don’t Care”
- Sound of a Woman
- Cut Me Loose, (SeeB Remix)
- Give It to the Moment, (featuring Djemba)
- “Teach Me”, (Joey Bada$$ featuring Kiesza)
- “Last Night in the City”, (Duran Duran featuring Kiesza)
- “Pain Told Love”
- “Last Night in the City”
- “Feel the Light”
- “I’m In It With You”
- “Dearly Beloved”
- “Don’t Want You Back”, (Bakermat featuring Kiesza)
- “Hello Shadow”, (Skygge featuring Kiesza)
- “We Are Strong”
- “Mother”, (vs. Chris Malinchak)
- “Phantom of the Dance Floor”, (featuring Philippe Sly)
- “Weird Kid”, (with Chris Malinchak)
- “3 Hos”, (with Chris Malinchak as Malinkiesza)
- “Naked (With My Headphones On)”, (with Rat City)
- “You’re the Best”
- “All For You”, (Rynx featuring Kiesza)
- “When Boys Cry”
- “I Think That I Like You” (with Tom Ferry)
- “All of the Feelings”